Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I'm BORN UGLY too!



Hello cannibals! I recently had the privilege to contribute art to the totally awesome Richmond, Virginia-based skate zine BORN UGLY. Friend-of-MAMMAL Jim “Barf” Callahan was kind enough to include one of my “Boring Meeting Drawings” in issue #4. You can order it from them or read it in convenient pdf format at their site. It’s really pretty excellent and will make you want to take out the board you haven’t used since all of your high school buddies got driver’s licenses. Take a look when you have a chance, and make sure you take a look at some of Jim’s illustration and comics work. The dude is keeping the torch lit for ultra-sick graphics!

Other mentionables: I'm totally obsessed with "end of the decade" lists. LOVE that they're all coming out now. I read pitchfork's and I was like, "Why haven't I listened to Spoon in years? Spoon is good!" Lists like that are kind of awesome for reminding you of shit that just kind of got back-burnered.

Along similar lines, I love that Converge's AXE TO FALL is showing up on end-of-the-year lists, including the Onion's. Anyone who knows me knows that Converge is pretty much my favorite band and I feel like they make the most exciting music in the world, but it's undeniably aggro, so I dig that not everyone gets into it. It's heartening to see (sort-of) mainstream (meaning not metal/hardcore ghetto) press praising them (The Onion even interviewed frontman Jake Bannon). They make me feel like I'm killing dragons in a viking helmet while surrounded by white-hot flames when I listen to them. It's powerful.

Thrash,

THOMAS

No comments: